Created in 1948, BICE is an international catholic network of organisations engaged in the promotion and protection of the children’s rights and of their dignity. A French non-profit association, BICE is present in 66 countries on 4 different continents through its member organisations and its partners.
BICE also enjoys a special status with the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations (ECOSOC) and it takes an active part in the Human Rights Council and the Comitee on the Rights of a Child. Our organisation is also acknowledged by the Holy See
Our association operates within a Christian perspective. Our objective being the integral development of all children, we do our very best to promote children’s dignity and enforce their rights, that are still too often violated.In this respect, BICE relies on the United Nations’ Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) that it contributed to draft and which application it supports.
In its approach to children’s rights, BICE links resilience and spiritual growth. Our guidelines mainly include:
- The research of every child’s best interest and the respect of their dignity,
- The respect of a child’s family, of his community, his culture and his religion. BICE works at the service of all children with no discrimination or proselytising.
- The promotion of children’s dignity and rights from all types of infringement : discrimination, exclusion, exploitation for work, violence …
- The defence and support of all children, with a special attention to those in a more vulnerable state: children victims of ill-treatment and violence, child workers, children with disabilities, children in conflict with the law, children estranged from their families and socially excluded, child soldiers.
Children are actors of their own development,the only way to ensure long-term benefits to our actions.
Our range of actions
Action in the field with children in difficulties
Around the world, the abandonment abuse, physical and sexual violence, exploitation for work, poverty, discrimination and exclusion make children and adolescents vulnerable and deprive them from their fundamental rights. It is to fight against these situations of distress that in Africa, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the CIS (Commonwealth of Independent States), BICE, along with its members and its partners implement long-term programs that address thousands of children. Learn more about our field projects »
BICE’s mission is guided by the need to create or amplify connections between the organisations working in the field and the United Nations human rights protection system. We aim at developing a mobilisation that can bring on in-depth changes in favour of children’s rights. Read more about our advocacy initiatives »
Reflection and research on childhood
BICE’s Research and Development unit works on the resilience process and its relationships with child rights and spirituality. Throughout studies, seminars and training sessions, innovative frameworks are largely broadcasted. Learn more about our research activities »
Our organisation offers training programs on child rights, on the right to education, on human rights education and on resilience. These sessions are designed for member organisations and specialized audiences. Learn more about BICE’s training sessions »
BICE regularly organizes public events, such as international Congresses:
- Paris, 2011: Our bi-annual Congress, dedicated to “The right to education of children estranged from their families and socially excluded” mobilized more than 300 people for the opening day in the House of Unesco.
- Paris, 2010: The movie documentary festival “Enfances dans le monde (Childhood in the world)” started in 2010, raises public awareness to the very different situations lived by children across the world.
- Geneva, 2009: Launching of the World appeal to a new mobilization for childhood on the 20th anniversary of the Convention on the Rights of the Child.